Pages

Friday, June 27, 2008

On splitting Sisterlocks, thin hair and locking

I've been so busy over the past few weeks with my phone ringing regularly and my appointment book getting almost full. I thank God so much for my wonderful clients and transfer clients.
Did you know that Sisterlocks that are too large can be split? It's a long process but I am doing that for one client of mine. When we are done, her already abundant head of locks will be even more so. But well worth it. But it'll back to bundling and banding for a while.
Sometimes for one reason or another Sisterlocks are made too large and then splitting comes in. I'm even in the process of splitting quite a number of my daughter Soila's locks. Because she had her Sisterlocks put in when she was only 3 and a half and her head and scalp surface are still growing, some of her sisterlocks(which were medium and large) to start with, have become thick and bulky. (She's 5 now). It's for this reason some consultants suggest putting micros(the smallest size locks) for kids. But I am totally against that- It's way too much torture for them to sit down even if it's spread over many sessions.
I'll be posting photos of a few of my new clients in my album soon.
One of them, whom I'll call Miss A, has had issues with thinning hair caused by repeated coloring of her traditional locks she had for many years. She also went through months of tight braids and weaves prior to gettting her Sisterlocks.
Here she is 
Posted by Picasa

Many women with this problem wonder whether Sisterlocks would work for them. Blogs by sisters like Helga and Funmi are sure proof that when we stop messing around with our hair and leave it alone, we will be surprised at the new growth and thickness we can achieve. Hooray for Sisterlocks!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that!!! Before going natural I thought my hair was weak and thin. Before Sisterlocks I never thought my hair would have substantial growth and thickness. Boy was I wrong!! Sisterlocks to the Rescue!!!

I look forward to reading about Miss A.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amber,

I enjoyed the sisterlock meeting. There's nothing like a sisterlock gathering. I am so glad to be a part of the sister lock family. Thanks, I look forward to the next Sl meeting.

Cooperreid

Helga said...

Thanks for the "shout out!" I too am surprised by how much my hair has changed in such a short time. I am also very pleased about the heightened levels of self acceptance and self love. (Not to shabby for a set of locks!). Keep up the good work, and congrats on your booming business ;-)

blackrussian said...

I have had in mind to do a post on my own lock-splitting experience for about three months now, but I have been too busy. I was thinking about it again this morning, and here I find myself at your blog where you so recently wrote about it.

Doesn't that happen ALL the time in the blogosphere?

I was the first one to insist that I didn't want micro and mini locks, and I still don't want them all over my head. (Since I have started self-tightening, I have been especially happy with my decision to get larger than standard sisterlocks.)

However, I find that small locks have their place. I've started about twenty locks around the edges of my hairline since my initial locking and all of them are small because there just wasn't a lot of hair available, but it was more than I wanted to leave loose.

And I like them, they're fine. They ARE more of a pain to retighten than the larger ones, but since there are only a relatively few, I can manage it.

I split six of the my locks around the time of my one year anniversary - three on each side of my head.

The hair at my temples is really fine and soft, so I had her make those locks the size I wanted them to be - medium.

The locks behind my ear didn't swell. They are almost the same size they always were. The locks in front of my ears did.

They got much thicker than what I wanted. It was okay when I wore my hair down, but I didn't like the look when I wore it pulled back or up, which I do a lot! Daily.

So I took them down. It wasn't that much of an ordeal, a little time-consuming, but not a terrible experience over all.

I had my consultant make each lock into two and they are micro-mini now, but I know they will be just right a year from now.

I don't foresee that I will need to split any more, but it was nice to know that it wasn't a negative experience or a grueling process.

There are probably another 6 or 8 that I COULD split, but they're such happy healthy locks and they're in the middle where no one sees, i only feel that they are larger when I retighten, so I'll probably leave them alone.